Elephant in the Room Poster Contest
The purpose of this contest is for medical students in the Delaware Valley to create, vote on, and select a poster that uses the theme of the “elephant in the room” to raise awareness about the need for mental wellness, and remind fellow medical students that it is OK to seek help. The hope is that this campaign will serve to both recognize, and to diminish the stigma associated with seeking help.
The term “elephant in the room” is applicable to many circumstances and is a common reference to mental health and well-being. Even though there is more discussion on this topic than in the past, there is still stigma associated with seeking mental health services. Research consistently demonstrates that students enter medical school eager to learn the skills necessary to truly help in the care of others, yet often are not comfortable seeking help for themselves.
Submissions are due by October 13th, 2017. Medical students throughout the Delaware Valley will vote on the posters in mid-October and the winner will be announced at the:
Inaugural Mütter Mixer
November 1st, 2017
6:30-8:30 PM at the
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
August 28, 2017 – Contest Begins
October 13, 2017 – All submissions due
October 17-23 – DVMSWC votes on finalists
November 1 – Students vote at Inaugural Mütter Mixer
The Elephant in the Room - Raising Awareness of Mental Health in the Medical Community
Please contact your school’s representative with any questions:
- Cooper Medical School of Rowan University: Brittany Gottsch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drexel University College of Medicine: Karen Shulik, email@example.com
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University: Dianne Butera, MSW firstname.lastname@example.org
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine: Ruth Conboy, LPC, NCC, DNP email@example.com
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine: Dean Micciche, MPA firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thomas Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Medical College: Rose Milani email@example.com
- University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine: Benoit Dubé, MD firstname.lastname@example.org
The Delaware Valley Medical Student Wellness Collaborative is a consortium of student affairs and counseling professionals from the seven medical colleges* in the Delaware Valley region promoting the emotional wellbeing and resiliency of medical students, and proactively addressing the stressors and challenges inherent in an undergraduate medical education through wellness programming, awareness campaigns, resource sharing, education innovations, and social opportunities open to all medical students of the Consortium.
The Collaborative strives to:
- educate students about mental health and available resources
- reduce stigma associated with help-seeking and mental illness
- provide cross-campus social opportunities and social support in an effort to enhance connection, a sense of community, and overall wellbeing
- inspire, empower, as well as to be a model to students in developing healthy life choices and resiliency that will serve them during medical school and beyond
*The Collaborative Includes Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Medical College, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine; with the support of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.